And chili season, I think. Which means I’m making the good dinners Mummy! Despite its meatless nature this chili is warm and filling, perfect for when the temperatures start to drop. Of course if you live in Southern California that means to a chilling 80 degrees. But hey, this vegetarian chili will remind you that it’s actually October.
Pumpkin Chili (from A Beautiful Mess)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 yellow onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 red bell pepper
1 can pinto beans
1 can red beans
1 chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce)
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 can pumpkin puree
A pinch of cumin, cinnamon and red pepper
- In a medium/large pot heat the oil over low heat.
- Dice onion and bell pepper, mince garlic. Add to the pot and turn the heat up to medium. Saute until onion begins to soften.
- Chop chipotle pepper and add to the pot, if you like it spicy add a little of the sauce too. Add diced tomatoes with juices, pumpkin and all the spices and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the beans and add to the pot.
- Once everything is warmed through check to see if you need to add any salt or pepper. Serve with cheese or sour cream. And cornbread. Don’t forget the cornbread.