SANTA! OH MY GOD! SANTA’S COMING! I KNOW HIM! I KNOW HIM!
It’s just about time to load up on sugar and watch Elf & Home Alone, baby! Here’s some peppermint bark to share with the neighbs or hoard for a day until it somehow disappears.
12 ounces semi sweet chocolate
12 ounces white chocolate
optional vegetable shortening
6-ish drops (or a splash!) peppermint extract
8 candy canes, crushed
- Cover a baking pan with wax or parchment paper.
- If you get ahold of “melting chocolate” by all means, use that. Otherwise, take your milk chocolate and microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Be careful not to over-heat or it’ll get burnt and chunky. You can add some vegetable shortening if it’s not melting well to make it smoother.
- Pour the melted milk chocolate onto the wax paper. With a spatula smooth until the chocolate is evenly coated. Stick in the freezer for 10 minutes or until set.
- Take out the chocolate layer and repeat the melting process with white chocolate. This time swirl in a splash or several drops of peppermint extract before pouring and smoothing the white chocolate onto the milk chocolate layer. Before that hardens, evenly sprinkle crushed candy canes (put them in a ziplock, cover with a kitchen towel, and hammer away) on top. Place in the freezer for another 10 minutes or until completely set.
- Use a knife or your hands to break the bark apart into pieces. Store in an airtight container.