Last weekend I visited my mom and wanted to bake something gluten-free but simple for her. Since meringues are naturally gluten-free and she loves chai tea, I decided to finally try a recipe I’ve been eyeing- chai meringues! At around just 5 calories a pop, you’ll be tossing these back in no time. Happy weekend friends!
Mini Chai Meringues, adapted from Wayfaring Chocolate
2 egg whites, brought to room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar (super-fine sugar otherwise known as “baker’s sugar”)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 120°C, and line two cookie sheets with silpat or baking paper.
- Place the egg whites and pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all the sugar is incorporated and dissolved and the mixture is glossy. (To check if the sugar is dissolved, rub a bit of the meringue mixture between your fingers, it shouldn’t feel grainy).
- Add in vanilla extract, then beat in the spices. Scoop out little spoonfuls of meringue onto the baking sheet, then place in the oven and bake for one hour.
- Optional to make extra crispy: turn off oven and leave meringues inside for 2 hours.