This superfood super fall salad makes for a perfect Thanksgiving side salad or even take-along lunch. Because kale is so sturdy, it can be made ahead of time and actually tastes best after a night or two marinating in the fridge. If you’re anything like me, you’re already thinking about Thanksgiving leftovers- and I plan on stuffing a little turkey + this salad into a whole grain tortilla for a delicious wrap! Whether you’re having a vegetarian Thanksgiving or just need a healthy first course, this salad is filled with festive fall flavors.
Do yourself a favor and massage the kale beforehand to make the texture softer and a little more palatable. 😉 I had fig balsamic on hand so I used that and it was delicious, but a simple vinaigrette would be just as great!
Kale Cinnamon Apple Pecan Salad with Fig Vinaigrette
1 bunch kale
2 apples, chopped in chunks
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup cranberries
1 tbsp cinnamon
- Wash and massage kale, pat dry. Strip leaves off of stalks and rip or cut into bite-sized pieces and add to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add apple chunks and cinnamon. Squeeze half of lemon over bowl, and mix to get the apples coated with cinnamon.
- Dump apples into kale; add pecans and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, make a simple vinaigrette, mixing equal parts balsamic and olive oil, with a touch of mustard to combine.
- Pour dressing on salad, squeeze remaining half of lemon, and toss!